This banner has been circulating many fairy tale blogs I follow. Kristin at Tales of Faerie officially tagged anyone else who would like to participate, so I’m jumping on the bandwagon!
Here’s the list so far:
Gypsy – Once Upon a Blog
Heidi – SurLaLune
Adam – Fairy Tale Fandom
Kate – Enchanted Conversation
Kristina – Twice Upon a Time
Christie – Spinning Straw Into Gold
Megan – The Dark Forest
Cate – Something to Read for the Train
Here’s my list:
– You can rationalise any book purchase by saying it’s fairy tale related, and therefore you need it for your blog.
– Your bookworm friends and family get excited when you say you’ve bought a new book, anticipating what it is and wondering whether it’s something they might want to borrow. Then they realise it’s fairy tale related AGAIN and sigh at you and shake their heads.
– You constantly have piles of fairy tale anthologies beside your bed, and dip into them at random when you can’t sleep.
– You get really snobby when you hear people talking about Disney films, and have to fight the urge to butt in and say something like ‘oh no, the original version is nothing like that!’
– The Aarne-Thompson classification system will always baffle you, no matter how many times you study it.
– You’ve read so many fairy tales that they’ve all jumbled together in a big mush in your brain, so often you can’t tell what character or plot event belongs to what story.
– Similarly, when you try to think of an example of a specific type or motif you mind goes blank and you have to scramble your way through the mush. This usually ends up with you becoming hopelessly confused & trailing through Google for help.
– You insist on reading obscure fairy tales to your housemates, in the hope of educating them.
– When ‘gender roles’ and ‘Cinderella’ come up in a discussion, your friends run away in fear of their lives.
– You go into the library and ask for fairy tale books, then have to specify you mean ones for adults, to which the librarian responds with ‘I didn’t know there were any!’ and know you’re in the wrong town.
– When you’re out and see something fairy tale related you have to take photos of it, so you can turn it into a blog post. But often you don’t get round to it for awhile, so end up with hundreds of random pictures clogging up your phone.
That’s it from me (for now at least – sure I will discover more and I continue my fairy tale blogging journey!)