Time for a bit of fairy tale fun! How do you know you’re a fairy tale blogger? Many others have been sharing their reasons, and now it’s my turn!
Here’s a roundup of the other wonderful bloggers who have taken part in this blog tour:
Kristin – Tales of Faerie
Gypsy – Once Upon a Blog
Heidi – SurLaLune
Adam – Fairy Tale Fandom
Kate – Enchanted Conversation
Kristina – Twice Upon a Time
Christie – Spinning Straw Into Gold
Megan – The Dark Forest
Cate – Something to Read for the Train
Here’s my list:
– You can rationalise any book purchase by saying it’s fairy tale related, and therefore you need it for your blog.
– Your bookworm friends and family get excited when you say you’ve bought a new book, anticipating what it is and wondering whether it’s something they might want to borrow. Then they realise it’s fairy tale related AGAIN and sigh at you and shake their heads.
– You constantly have piles of fairy tale anthologies beside your bed, and dip into them at random when you can’t sleep.
– You get really snobby when you hear people talking about Disney films, and have to fight the urge to butt in and say something like ‘oh no, the original version is nothing like that!’
– The Aarne-Thompson classification system will always amaze you, no matter how many times you study it.
– You’ve read so many fairy tales that they’ve all jumbled together in a big mush in your brain, so often you can’t tell what character or plot event belongs to what story.
– Similarly, when you try to think of an example of a specific type or motif your mind goes blank and you have to scramble your way through the mush. This usually ends up with you trailing through Google & your bookshelf in bewilderment.
– You insist on reading obscure fairy tales to your housemates, in the hopes of educating them.
– When ‘gender roles’ and ‘Cinderella’ come up in a discussion, your friends run away in fear for their lives.
– You go into the library and ask for fairy tale books, then have to specify you mean ones for adults, to which the librarian responds with ‘I didn’t know there were any!’ and know you’re in the wrong town.
– When you’re out and see something fairy tale related you have to take photos of it, so you can turn it into a blog post (and often you don’t get around to writing that post for awhile, so you end up with hundreds of random pictures clogging up your phone!)
That’s it from me – for now at least. I’m sure I will discover many more reasons as I continue my fairy tale blogging journey!
Latest posts by Amelia Starling (see all)
- Come, Tie Your Life Away - 2nd October 2018
- Japanese Folklore: Sacred Trees and the Takasago Pines - 14th June 2018
- Fairy Tales: The Princess As the Witch in ‘Tricking the Witch’ - 27th February 2018